FYI  Please pass on. ...what a sad story.

Warning: Raisins and Grapes as dog treats are toxic

Raisins and Grapes can be toxic for dogs- even a small quantity
of seven can be harmful! 
Please read below and pass on to others with dogs:

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at
My patient was a 56 pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix who ate half a
cannister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4 :30 PM on Tuesday.  He started
with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner
didn't call my emergency service until 7AM. I had heard somewhere about raisins
AND grapes causing acute renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the
We had her bring the dog in immediately. 

In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was
like me---had heard something about it, but....Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA
National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give I V fluids at 1
1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.  The
dog's BUN
(blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and
creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal).  Both are monitors of kidney
function in the bloodstream.  We placed an I V catheter and started the fluids. 
Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over
7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the
dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter
to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.  He started
vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase
daily.  He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic.  He was on 3
different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. 
Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over
120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood
pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220. 
He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize.

This is a very sad case-- great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins
could be a toxin.  Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very
serious risk. 
Poison control said as few as 7 raisins could be toxic.  Many people I know
give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats.  Any exposure should give rise to
immediate concern. 

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville, Ohio